|Which details to put in
You will be entering agreements involving a monetary exchange, with someone you
do not know, or with someone whose native tongue is not English. Both
parties should include any specific details via emails, even if they have been
discussed over the phone. The following specifics should be put in
1) Exact model number, version, any updates or service, serial number, etc.
2) All dollar figures: separate and specify the item price, shipping costs, etc.
3) Expected dates: when you will send payment or shipment, when it might arrive.
4) Shipping details: which shipper, exact method (ex: 2-day air).
Which questions to ask over the phone
Audiogon STRONGLY recommends a phone conversation before committing to a
transaction. While the details should be handled in writing, a phone
conversation is important to get to know your trading partner. Some topics
require a two-way conversation because one answer often leads to another
question. The following issues are best handled by phone, and not email:
1) Physical condition, usage history, system context.
2) Buyer's familiarity with the item - helps avoid surprises.
3) General conversation - informative? friendly? do you feel comfortable?
Notify of each step with an email
It is critical that both parties remain in contact throughout a transaction
process. Every step should be indicated with an email to the other
party. Even if you are not nervous, your trading partner may be very
nervous indeed. The following steps mandate an email:
1) Confirm agreement - include price, shipping, payment method, etc.
2) Payment or shipment sent - include tracking number
3) Payment or shipment received.
4) Payment clears, or item is inspected.
5) Feedback submitted - helps remind the other party to do the same.
Be willing to answer questions after a sale
Most transactions at Audiogon result in a friendship that continues long after
the deal. The next owner of a piece may have a few questions about how
something works, or what a particular button does, etc. Sellers should be
willing to answer a few reasonable questions after a sale, to help the new owner
enjoy the new toy. One should not ignore emails from their trading
partners. If you do not have the time to answer questions after the sale, at
least respond with a note explaining that. Remember, there are only so
many audiophiles in the world, so it never hurts to make another friend.