Really nice headphone amp. Sounds great on pretty much any headphone I tried on it (HE1000v1, HE1000v2, Ether Flow's, Focal Utopia). This is a true balanced headphone amp with 4 internal amplifiers. The output impedance is extremely low, so the damping factor is very high (= precise control of the diaphragms). The amp is very powerful with adjustable gain, so it's terrific regardless of the sensitivity of your headphones.
also check out the specs:
Freq Resp: 0-55kHz (-0.5dB) = ruler flat
Dynamic Range: >128dB = wow
THD+N @ 1W: 0.0004%
Shipping: $14.95 flat to CONUS, includes insurance, and proper packing
Only reason I'm selling this awesome amp is I upgraded to a Mcintosh headphone amp and I don't need 2 amps!
Condition: 9/10 conservatively. Personally, it looks like basically brand new.
Check out the review on head-fi here (along with photos of the internals)
The HPA V181 is a stereophonic headphone amplifier designed to drive low-, medium- and high-Z loads (16...600 ohms) as usually represented by high-quality headphones.
V181 contains four amplifiers (2 x stereo) to enable proper driving of balanced headphones.
Due to its specific, variable and low-noise and distortion circuit design especially optimised for dynamic headphones, the HPA V181 fulfils even highest demands.
- Balanced inputs with gold-plated Neutrik XLR connectors
- Unbalanced inputs with gold-plated ALPS cinch connectors
- switchable unbalanced outputs with cinch connectors
- PRE-GAIN = switchable input gain in five steps
- Independent-channel design
- DC-coupled (switchable)
- ALPS RK27 High-Grade volume control
- High-Quality op-amps in the signal path
- High-quality MKP capacitors in the signal path
- 0.1 and 1% metal film resistors throughout the unit
- 4 amplifiers with BUF634
- 1 balanced headphone output, Neutrik 4-pin, gold plated
- 2 silver-plated Neutrik headphone outputs
- Relay-based headphone output cutoff
- Toroidal transformer
- Large filtering capacitors in the power supply
- Switchable ground lift
- Rugged aluminium case with Nextel coating
- Solid, laser-engraved aluminium front panel