The new Audio Space CDP-8A tube CD player is our new favorite player in the $1000.00-$1500.00 price range.
The first review is out and the reviewer bought the stock player. They compared it to a $6000.00 DAC and it was quite close. Read the review on the stock player here:
The CDP-8A is a remote controlled balanced & single ended player that also allows solid state output thru one of the 2 sets of RCA outputs. In one player you get both solid state and tube sonics depending on your source. You can have them both hooked up at the same time and switch back and forth. The 8A plays HDCD's and has an upsampling 24 bit/96K Burr Brown DAC. Build quality is excellent and sonics rival far more expensive players. The metal remote is solid.
Premium Philips VAM 1202/12 CD transport
Burr-Brown PCM 1732 D/A converter chip
24 bit/96 kHz upsampling
Single ended RCA tube and solid state outputs
Balanced XLR tube output
High quality chassis and components
Premium remote control
We love the stock player and now have a modification that takes it to the next level. Our Level-1 mod is now on sale for $1790.00 and is a big upgrade.
The following details our level-1 modification:
1) One dual Burr-Brown OPA-627AU op amp module (using two single op amps, mounted on a custom DIP adapter).
2) Two Mundorf M-Cap metalized polypropylene output coupling caps;
3) One Russian E-H 12AX7 tube
4) Two feet of DH LABS 23 awg pure 99.99% pure silver, solid-core hook-up wire, with foamed Teflon, tape wrap dielectric
5) Four MUR860 ultra fast, soft recover HEXFRED style rectifying diodes
6) Ten Black-Gate C, FK, and N-Series electrolytic caps + two Nichicon KZ Muse PS caps.
7) Nine Takman Japanese-made audio-grade carbon film 1% signal resistors
8) Two audio-grade PRP 1% metal film resistors
9) We add one 6�x12� sheet of Soundcoat to damping chassis resonances
10) Four small EAR compliant sorbothane isolation feet
11) We install 1pr. Vampire direct-gold over Copper, Teflon dielectric machined RCA jacks
12) WBT 4% silver solder used throughout
13) 5 hours of Installation Labor
Sonic improvements are across the board. The player is now quieter. Blacks are blacker, resolving more low-level detail for better ambiance retrieval. The tube stage is now has greater inner detail while at the same time being more dynamic. Transparency is improved and you can now look farther into the soundstage. Images are sized better and more defined. Stage width and depth are both improved. Bass slam and extension are dramatically improved, with fuller weight and authority. The tube output stage sounds more like solid-state in this area now.
The Level-1 mod is $880.00 to your player.
New modified players are $1790.00 + frt for a limited time.
A new Burson clock is available for $350.00 installed.
We have the L-1 modified player w/clock on sale for $1990.00 + frt.
We also have a Level-2 mod for $2190.00 + frt.
We accept Visa, MasterCard & money orders. Read our over 10,400 points of AudiogoN #1 rated feedback and then call 770-667-5633 with questions or to order this fine CD player.
GA residents add 6% sales tax.
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz +/-0.5dB
Signal-to-noise Ratio: >102dB (solid state),>93dB (tube)
Output Voltage: 2V single ended RCA, 4V balanced XLR
Dynamic Range: 104dB
Channel Separation: >96dB
Total Harmonic Distortion: Vacuum Tubes: 12AX7 (ECC83) x 3
Dimensions: 385w x 94h x 337d (mm)
Net Weight: 18 pounds
Acoustic Zen, Audio Space, Balanced Power Technologies, BobCarver.com, Creek, Denon, Emerald Physics, Epos, ERA, Gallo, Gini Systems, Graham Slee, Jolida, LSA amps and speakers, Marantz Reference, Modwright, Mordaunt Short Loudspeakers, Music Hall, Peachtree Audio, Project, PS Audio, PurePower APS, Quad, Raysonic, Rolls Bellari, Silverline Audio, SONOS, Spatial Computer, Spread Spectrum Technologies, VMPS Loudspeakers, WADIA, Wireworld, Wyred 4 Sound
Sales policies on our website at www.underwoodhifi.com