This listing is for Sony PS-1 "Playstation" CD Player modification service. You have to supply your own PS-1 SCPH-1001 or SCPH-5501 and I will perform the mods of your choice.
Sony did a great job putting in excellent DAC in its early Playstation models. Modifications to this player yield excellent sonic results. I am not going to praise it to heavens (6 moons already did), suffice it to say that the sound of this player is on par with some of my "reference" CD players.
1. Modified output stage - DAC direct output via 3.3uf +22k coupling filter. I use Nos ERO MKT or Elna Silmic II for best results.
2. Power supply filter cap replaced.
3. Transport disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and damped.
4. Chassis damped. Stock feet replaced with polyurethane.
5. Vents are added in the case to help dissipate the heat from the power supply.
Your Sony SCPH-1001 modification - $65
Your Sony SCPH-5501 modification - $95 (requires chassis and sub-chassis modification, RCA connectors added)
To add integrated remote control, so it functions like a full featured CD player +$20
Please add $11.75 for return shipping fee (within CONUS).
PayPal add 3%
NOTE: SCPH-1001 vs SCPH-5501
Model SCPH-5501 uses the same Asahi Kasei AK4309AVM DAC as Model SCPH-1001.
The laser transport in 5501 is auto-biasing for proper tracking (important for reading CDR) vs manual in 1001.
5501 laser is positioned further from power supply that reduces interference and heat.
5501 requires installation of RCA sockets and chassis modification to accommodate them.
5501 is better, in my opinion, for CD use, as it has better laser pickup assembly and power supply. It also allows for installation of better quality RCA connectors. Both models require extensive chassis and laser transport damping to make them usable in audio.