I purchased this new in 2015 and was most impressed by how musical this DAC is. It is in absolute mint condition and I am the only owner. This unit is the latest upgraded version and includes manual and apple remote.
Asking price: $6500
This unit is 220-240V but can be factory modified to 110V.
The D5000 is very unique in today’s DAC world because most of its
components are not from any routine audio market source except the DAC
chips. The USB interface, SPDIF receiver and high end upsamplers are all
specifically customized for this application. D5000 uses very unique
technologies for audio signal processing. The clock does not directly
connect to the DAC chip. Instead, the audio processor uses clock
alignment algorithms that determine exact alignment for the DAC chip in a
The ES9018K2M SABRE 32 Reference DAC chip is a high performance
32-bit, 2-channel audio D/A converter with sampling to 32/384 kHz, 128
DSD and uses a 1.5 MHz upsampler through a field-programmable gate array
While most ES9018K based DACs use the dac chip for audio processing,
the D5000 has a proprietary internal processor that performs real time
PCM upsampling or upsampling and conversion to DSD. The SABRE Reference
DAC chip only performs the digital to analog conversion.
Real-time PCM to DSD conversion function is implemented when
“conversion” is selected. All input samples are converted to 128 DSD
with an internal 5.6 MHz/32 Bit upsampler and DSD converter. When
de-selected, input audio sampling is either upsampled, if selected, or
bypassed to the DAC chip.
The USB interface is implemented through custom hardware by Waversa
Systems and is UAC2 standard compliant. This provides very clean audio
through complete galvanic isolation, thereby stripping the digital
signal of any PC noise commonly created by the server’s internal power
supply. Thesycon driver is provided for Windows application. Drivers are
not required for Mac/Linux.
I2S input will be provided in the near future. This separate system
will be connected to DAC by a proprietary method through the AES port
and provide not only PCM but also DSD. This system has the capability to
support extreme upsample and cross conversion between DSD and PCM.
Details will be published on a future date.
Every source component has a word clock that sends an impulse to the
D/A converter ‘x’ times per second triggering it to take a sample - this
becomes the sampling rate. The precision of this clock determines
accuracy of the conversion process which is essential to avoid frequency
drift between the internal oscillators of the device.
The D5000 frame clock provides synchronization information to the
outside device allowing it to precisely match the D5000 MEMS clock. If
word clock input is provided then the D5000 internal system will use
word clock for playback. By providing an exact data rate, data overrun
or underrun are avoided and this reduced jitter creates clearer
transients, pronounced attack, crisp inner detail in the higher
frequencies and overall improved stereo image.
Firmware updates are completed through the USB input designated for
music data using a special interface unique to Waversa Systems.
1) Output RMS voltage: 2.5V
2) Output impedance: 150 ohms constant
3) Frequency range: 20 Hz-20 KHz flat
4) THD: less than 0.1%
5) Tubes: DHT: 3A5 X4; Tube-based internal power supply: 7233X1, 5654X1
6) Dimension: 430mm, 290mm, 150mm (W, D, H: 17", 7.4", 6")
7) Weight: 9.2 Kg
8) Power consumption: 23W /230/50Hz Or 23W/120V/60Hz for North America.
1) Toslink Sampling limit 96 kHz (Note: In case of TOSLINK, some devices will work correctly with D5000 at any rate. This depends on the signal quality of the transport.)
2) AES/EBU and Coax sampling limit 192 kHz (if the source is SPDIF standard compliant). Higher sampling rates have been demonstrated with some source components.
3) USB Sampling limit 384 kHz, DSD128
4) USB Input Custom USB Audio Interface design with Cypress FX2/FPGA
5) DAC Dual Mono/Mono ES9018K-2M Reference Audio DAC
6) Word Clock: Clock Reference Output, Clock Reference Input
7) DSD Conversion FPGA Based DSD Converter: PCM to input DSD128
8) Upsampling FPGA Based Upsampler: Up to 384 KHz
9) Mac OSX 10.6, Linux OS with UAC2, Windows OS (Thesycon Driver)
New List Price: $11,900 USD.