Here's your chance to own the Naim classic SBL loudspeaker for not a whole lot. The reason being is that this pair has some imperfections but still sound great with the proper set up and audio gear. I think I'm the third owner as I bought them used from a dealer in Seattle. Well cared for in a non-smoking, no pets/children home. I've listed the reasons I'm rating them as a 6/10 in condition but once set up, they are wonderful sounding. If you're looking then I'm assuming you already know what they can do with the right gear. I'm guessing on the original price only because I can't remember what they sold for in the early 90's. This pair has the newer woofer that doesn't have the lip on the basket.
SBL Conditions List:
- During an earthquake here in California, a small item fell off the shelf and onto the top of the speaker causing a couple of dings on the cabinet. I had a professional furniture repair place fix it and unless you get fairly close, it isn't that obvious.
- Whomever was the previous owner may have attempted to replace the gasket and pads or something else happened but you can see in the pictures that they definitely chiseled out a portion of the cabinet where the pad would sit.
- One of the crossovers' circuit board is completely loose. I never bothered to repair it as I purchased a set of SL2 crossovers to use. A definite sound improvement.
- The center pole on one of the woofers comes off pretty easily. I consulted AVOptions to find out that it is only held in place by very thin double sided tape. I replaced that but it is still loose and will probably come loose during shipping.
- I have SBL boxes but not for this exact pair. They are pretty beat up so I will be shipping these in a new custom box. No additional padding but really just to protect the boxes from further damage. As a result of this, I'll need a couple of extra weeks before I can ship as I'm waiting for the custom boxes to arrive.
You can see from the pics the remaining condition of the speakers. Once set up, any concerns about their condition goes away. I've made the move to SL400's, so I need to find a new home for the SBLs.
I'm including in my asking price of $999.00, the custom boxes, ground shipping to anywhere in the continental US, Audiogon fees, Paypal fees, the SL2 crossovers and a new gasket and pad replacement kit. I also have the manual and some pages I downloaded from an SBL reference website. The foam grills are in very good condition. Both sets of crossovers, the manual and the gasket replacement will be shipped in a separate box.
I have boxed them up and am unable to take any additional pictures. I accept Paypal with a confirmed address only. Sorry, no international buyers.