Fully Restored Vintage AR2ax 3-way Loudspeakers
Early 1970's Acoustic Research AR2ax 3-way loudspeakers. Among the best of the "New England" sound from that generation. Made in Cambridge MA. Designed by the historical duo of Edgar Villchur and Henry Kloss. Villchur is credited with the invention of the sealed acoustic suspension speaker design.
I have done a complete restoration of these classic speakers. My asking price just about covers my expenses in restoring them. Truly a labor of love.
Here's is the run down:
- Replace the crossover capacitors with ClarityCaps maintaining original crossover points.
- Replace attenuators (level controls) with new ones and added nice knobs with indicators.
- Replaced glass wool with lamb's wool damping material.
- Re-foamed the woofer surrounds.
- Replaced original tweeters with improved model spec'd to match original performance.
- New grill material with original look.
- Original grills were glued in at factory. They now attach with hidden velcro and are removable.
- Refinished walnut veneer with oil finish as original. The pictures don't do the
finish justice. Silky smooth and beautiful grain.
- Repainted black front panel (under grill).
- Custom made adapters to allow speaker cables with banana plugs and secure connection to speaker (fixes a notorious problem).
I believe these to be as good as any living example of this classic loudspeaker and better than most. Read other listings carefully and I think you will find they don't begin to compare in condition and functional restoration. I rate the condition excellent (Very Good by Audiogon's scale). The only flaw is a minor scratch on the bottom of one speaker - unseen once placed. The warranty cards and instruction cards are even intact! I have them under plastic to protect them going forward.
The sound rivals great speakers of today. Bass is very strong and highs are crisp
but smooth. The attenuators allow for adjustment of the midrange and tweeter levels to compensate for room acoustics and tailor to your taste. AR specs of 8 ohm and they recommend a minimum of 20 watts.
I also have some other pdfs of some AR history, brochure, photos, etc., that I will include. Also included are custom cable adapters with ring connectors for secure connection at the speaker end, and banana jacks on the other (see photo). This will accommodate standard cables with banana plugs.
For sale separately at $100, 17' speaker cables. Cables with ring connectors on one end and really nice locking banana plugs on the other. They are made with good quality Belden 5000UP wire.
I spent another ~ $50 to make storage/shipping boxes with double walls and foam inserts (see photo).
Selling price is $825 plus $50 shipping anywhere in the US lower 48. I will cover paypal fees and most of the shipping (it will be much more than $50!) anywhere in lower 48 US states. Contact me about shipping outside of that. There are two boxes, each are 18.5" x 18.5" x 29" and 45lbs. I will ship within two business days.
Note: In the photos there is a shot of one speaker on a stand that I made. The stands are not included. I would sell them for $100 if anyone is interested, but shipping would likely be prohibitive given they are very heavy. Come pick them up if you are in Alaska!
If you are wondering why, we are beginning transition to semi-retirement living and I am reluctantly downsizing and simplifying. Thanks for looking! .........Peter