I am offering for sale my Herron Audio VTSP-1A vacuum tube preamplifier. I am the original owner, and the unit has performed flawlessly. It has the upgrade from VTSP-1 to VTSP-1A which was undertaken in 2006 for $350. This is an extremely quiet, transparent, musical preamp in great condition. I have sold my mono blocks and am moving to an integrated system.
Please see specifications listed below, taken from Herron Audio website. Views of the interior of the unit are available from Herron as well as reviews.
Original power cord, sales invoice, upgrade invoice, and original owner's manual are included.
Audiogon blue book current value is $1943.83 for VTSP-1 (without upgrade to 1A). Asking price is $1425.
- Perfect tracking volume 166-step control system with unprecedented precision and dynamic range
- Infinite resolution indirect signal path balance control
- All-tube design operated conservatively for long life
- Relay input switching eliminates switching distortion
- Star grounding for low interference susceptibility and clean signal path
- Zero feedback - no feedback loops in the audio circuitry
- Super-low noise
- High input signal capacity without overload; see technical specifications
- Gold plated TIFF RCA and ground connectors
- Hand-picked components for accurate response and consistent unit-to-unit quality
- Automatic muting at startup and shutdown
- 72,000 µF of power supply energy storage capacitance
- 4 levels of high voltage regulation
- Regulated soft-start DC filament supply
- Regulated tube bias supply
- Toroidal power transformer
- Rugged 0.10" thick aluminum chassis with 0.25" thick heavily anodized faceplate
- Reversing power line (AC) polarity switch for minimizing line-to-chassis reactive currents and noise pickup
- Controlled warm-up of tube filaments and high voltage for extended tube life
- Low plate operating currents for extended tube life and cool operation
- Front panel indicators for power, filament voltage, and output/mute/monaural
- Each unit is given an extensive burn-in, including rigorous bench and listening tests
SpecificationsTube complement4 x 6922Frequency response1 Hz to beyond 100 kHz, 20 Hz to 20 kHz ±0.1 dB (volume control at 9 o'clock)Volume Control166-position electronic stepped attenuatorVolume TrackingMaximum differential: ±0.1 dB channel to channelOutput impedance100 Ohms nominal at 1 kHzInput impedance100,000 ohmsPower supply72,000 µF of energy storage
4 levels of high voltage regulation
Regulated soft start DC filament supply
Regulated tube bias supply
Toroidal power transformerPower requirementsU.S.: 120 VAC 60 Hz, 30 VA, Fuse 1/2 amp 250 volt slow blow
Export: 230 VAC 50/60 Hz, 30 VA, Fuse 1/4 amp 250 volt slow blowInput capacity18 Volts RMSOverall dimensions19" wide x 3.5" high x 10" deep