It's been widely accepted that the transport is responsible for about 30% of the sound of a CD playback system. However, after hearing what the No. 31 did for his system, John Atkinson bought one.
Let me explain why the No 31 is such a stunning addition to a hi-end audio system.
The No 31 is a very different transport. At first powering it on, there is no disc tray. Pressing OPEN silently lifts a 1/4" thick upper panel to reveal the transport. A microprocessor controls the door if it senses an obstruction or the hold-down dampening disk is not in place over the CD it will not let know on the front panel. The floating pick-up and laser assembly are suspended in one of the most sophisticated assemblies ever made. The transport "remember's phase settings for your individual discs and even specific tracks. The list of features found on this transport goes on and on. Other manufacturers never even knew you could build a transport to this level. See the technical features below.
This unit is in near perfect physical condition. We were unable to find a scratch or ding, but a few bits of the silkscreening are rubbed off. Since its actually embossed into a laser cut out grove we're having the lettering restored and it should be near perfect shortly.
The original heavy metal remote and original manual are included as well as the original double boxes.
Could this be the best sounding transport ever made.... you'll have to spend nearly $20,000 to find anything even close to this level today.
TECHNICAL FEATURES -
- Never before has such a monumental engineering effort been put into recovering data from Compact Disc.
- Stunning build quality and sophistication - 62 Lbs total
- Top loading design
- Fully-suspended laser assembly
- Massive vibration dampening used on multiple levels throughout
- Lead encased laser assembly supporting the lead encased laser pick-up (14 lbs on its own!)
- All lead encasing is chemically sealed
- Level integrated into the transport
- Non-resonant triple layer chassis
- Acoustically isolated inner chamber prevents acoustic energy from causing micro-vibrations on the disc
- Pitch black interior design to maximise laser integrity and focus clarity
- Carbon fiber damper disc and neodymium magnet stabilizes the CD surface preventing vertical displacement
- Dual critically regulated power supplies
- Huge toroidal transformer, dual bridge rectifiers and oversized filter caps
- Internally shielded high voltage cabling in a steel isolation channel
- Quad layer main PC boards
- 8 regulation stages on the main servo board - yes 8!
- The High Frequency digital stream is cleaned and filtered before being sent to the decoder using custom components
- Output stage uses a military spec, temperature compensated crystal oscillator
- S/PDIF, ST-Optical, AES/EBU, Coaxial and Toslink digital outputs
- Fed the No 31 into a good modern DAC and you'll hear CD's rival Hi-Resolution files!
TRANSPORT SPECIFICATIONS -
- LOADING - Vaulted door / top loading
- POWER CONSUMPTION - 25W
- DIGITAL OUTPUTS - AES/EBU (XLR), S/PDIF (RCA), HP ST Optical, Toslink optical
- INPUTS - Slave In/Out for communication to other ML gear
- MAINS VOLTAGE - 120V AC
- DIMENSIONS - (LxWxH) 13.7" x 19.4" x 5.6"
- WEIGHT - 62.1 lbs.
IN THE BOX -
- Remote Control
- Owners manual
- Power cord
- All original packaging and double boxes
CONDITION - Very Good - Minor lettering missing.
SHIPPING - We ship worldwide with UPS, Fed-Ex and various truck freight lines for items weighing over 100 lbs. All items are packed and padded with care if the original packaging is deemed insufficient. We know how exciting it is to anticipate the arrival of new gear and we want your item to arrive in the same condition it left our facility.
TAX - 6.5% if picked up in our store or shipped to a FL address. 0% if shipped outside Florida.
ABOUT US - Salon One Audio is a small town, hi-end audio store dedicated to a great customer experience. We've been selling new, pre-owned and demo audio gear since 1986. We'll treat you right whether its a new purchase, trade-in, upgrade or you just need some expert advice. We offer excellent trade-in values and package discounts. We are also authorized distributors for most lines we carry.
Great audio is a journey not just a purchase. We'll guide you to the best gear within your budget.
CONTACT INFO -