The Grail SB is one of the most versatile phonostages on the market. It has enough adjustments you can optimize the Grail SB to match any cartridge of which I am aware, even the tricky Jan Allaerts F1. And with its the current gain circuitry, no load setting is needed for moving coils(3 manual settings for MM). It is automatic. Some will want to question this but it works amazingly well. Low impedance carts love the current gain. Much more energy, ease and realism than voltage gain.
Main unit is in the first picture and the power supply(9.5" long x 5.25" w) is in the second.
This is a new and unused v.d. Hul Grail SB, balanced phonostage.
I also have the new Grail SE version with TWO separate power supplies! One for each channel. Call for more information.
Also have a nice selection of v.d. Hul cartridges.
Some of the great features of the GRAIL SB are mentioned below:
True Balanced Phonograph Preamplifier
Acepts XLR or RCA inputs & outputs
With this product you will absolutely be the owner of one of the most innovative and advanced phonograph preamplifier’s available.
Current gain instead of the old voltage gain is a revelation for modern low impedance cartridges. The Grail also has automatic load built in to the internal circuit.
- a specific designed Phonograph preamplifier section, unique in the world
- Phonograph RIAA – equalization with coils only, no sound impairing capacitors in filters
- special printed circuit board material with gold conducting paths
- the printed circuit board has a special mounting isolation devices to evade microphonics
- special equipment foot made of selected wood avoids mechanical energy storage
- low noise moving coil input stage, no annoying noise even with low-output cartridges
- automatic load adapting input stage for moving coil cartridges, no matching resistors needed!
- three seperate gain settings suitable for almost any MM cartridge
- removal of coupling capacitors in the signal path as far as possible
- strictly separated amplifier sections and circuit layout deliver a very natural soundstage
three phonograph inputs, two for MC cartridges, one for MM or MC high-output
- a shielded transformer in the power supply is placed in an external housing to avoid hum and EMI noise(separate, well engineered power supply)
- power supply with a circuit for each amplifier stage delivers a very high noise cancellation
Mains Power: 115 60Hz
Power consumption: 7 Watts
Amplification factor 33dB: 5,6 mV
Amplification factor 41dB: 2,2-5.5 mV cartridges, which includes most MM carts
Amplification factor 50dB: 0,8 mV
Input impedance: 47KOhm / 50pF
Amplification factor 56dB: 0,4 mV
Amplification factor 64dB: 0,15 mV
Amplification factor 73dB: 0,05 mV, for the very lowest output MC carts
Input impedance: AUTOMATIC matching from approximately 20 up to 1,500 Ohms
Designed to provide high-end audio, “The Grail SB” will deliver you outstanding sound quality
with nearly every available modern phonograph cartridge.
XACT AUDIO is proud to represent the following high performance gear:
Rockport Technologies speakers
CH Precision and VAC electronics
Nordost cables and noise reduction products
EQUI-TECH balanced power units
Furutech featuring the amazing GTX-D NCR outlet
Lyra and v. d. Hul cartridges
DS Audio optical cartridges and matching phonostages
KLAudio, Audio Desk, and Loricraft record cleaning machines
Stillpoints room treatments, feet and resonance control products
We also manufacture the revolutionary Schröder LT linear tracking tonearm and
THE BEAT MagDrive® turntables.