Marantz Model 7 7C Tube Preamp.
Serial Number 18,143 (roughly middle production)
***Pricing Newly Reduced 5/13***
This unit was unused for about 15 years.
On inspection, it powered up properly and it plays with good sound quality and balanced output in both channels. All functions can be observed working as follows:
- Selector: Switching properly to all 8 inputs and unit passes through both channels - A & B, to output.
- Mode: Mode selector properly toggling through all channel combinations
- Volume: working properly
- Balance: working properly
- Tape Monitor: Signal from tape monitor switched to output
- Phono Equalizer: Seems to be working (Eq differences heard)
- Low Frequency Filter: Very subtle effect with mini-monitors and presumed working properly.
- High Frequency Filter: noted cut in highs
- Bass and Treble controls: Both sets of controls, for both left and right, work properly, with noted change in tone.
- Controls and switches have "static" noise when handled and some switch positions are momentarily intermittent. This improved as I continued using the unit suggesting that the contacts need to be cleaned. (You can email me for the link to a video showing the operation of the unit.)
- Other than "working", I do not know the precise condition of the tubes. (Four of the tubes are Telefunken; the other two are Amperex)
- The powered on indicator lamp looks a little dim.
- I tested with a dvd player as a line source, a Dual turntable with Ortofon cartridge to check phono inputs, and a portable media player (on low output) to test the microphone inputs; The unit was driving a Rotel amp connected to a pair of NHT speakers. While this is not a reference class system, I neither heard nor observed anything that would suggest a fundamental issue with this unit.
- As with any vintage item that hasn't been maintained in some years, you should expect to have the unit serviced by a qualified technician for optimal performance.
- Conservatively rated at 6/10.
- Overall appearance is good - exactly as shown in the photos. (Most significant items are some surface wear on the front panel and the cabinet has a rounded corner.)
Local inspection, audition and pick up:
I've neither sold nor shipped an item of this value before.
So to provide assurances all around, I'm specifying local pick up in Northern New Jersey (about 15 miles West of NYC). Prospective Buyer is encouraged to take as much time as needed to thoroughly inspect and listen to the unit to their satisfaction before accepting. I have a full complement of components for listening (please inquire) - and buyer is welcome to bring additional components.