Awarded Audiophilia Star Component.
Unlock the potential of any component with Mojo Audio’s ultralow-noise power supplies. Upgrading the stock "wall wart" or "brick" style switch-mode power
supply on your components will improve performance significantly. Plug-and-play upgrades for most components with external power supplies.
45-day no-risk audition.
When the distortion caused by power supply noise is removed, you will see and hear higher contrasts and more low-level detail than ever before. Harmonic content and articulation improves, and the dynamic range and frequency response expands. Layers of subtlety and nuance are revealed.
Original manufacturer's 1-year warranty.
Note that the $599.95 price is for a used Joule v5.0 power supply in Basic Black or with machined silver face plate (your choice). Comes with a new high-performance DC power cable mated to your specific component. Since this power supply has been used it may have subtle cosmetic imperfections. AC power cable, Internal Filter Module, and shipping are additional.
Single or dual output options:
- Basic Black or with silver machined face plate (same price).
- Single regulated single output (listing price).
- Single regulated dual output (+$50 for two components of the same voltage).
- Dual regulated dual output (+$250 can be fixed or adjustable voltage).
Available in any international AC voltage, from 100VAC to 250VAC.
An ideal replacement for power supplies on:
- Mac Minis of all ages
- CAPS music servers
- Pico-ITX type HTPC computers
- microZOTL and other headphone amps
- Intel NUC, Gigabite Brix, and Raspberry Pi
- Regenerators, reclockers, and other USB devices.
- USB cards and USB to S/PDIF or I2S converters
- Music-streamers (LANRover, microRendu, etc.)
- Phono stages
- External drives, NAS, and RAID arrays
- DACs, ADCs, DAWs and other digital converters
- Naim, Wired4Sound, Baetis, and other servers.
- Routers, switches, and other network devices
Our Joule v5.0 is a plug-and-play upgrade for most components with wall wart or brick type external power supplies. We make custom DC power cables in normal and high-current configurations to fit almost any specification.
If you require a special connector that is not shown on our website please contact us.
To power multiple components we offer an optional second regulated power output and dual DC power cables with up to 10A of continuous power.
Features and Specifications:
We use only the highest-quality parts:
- Less noise than a LiO4 battery.
- Less than 50uV of peak-to-peak noise/ripple.
- Less than 10uS settling time from zero to full output.
- Up to 7 amps continuous power with up to 10 amp peaks.
- Hot parts are heat sunk to and dissipated through the entire chassis.
- Sophisticated AC filtering - no power conditioners are required.
- Cascaded spread spectrum capacitive filtering for expanded bandwidth.
- DC ground lift option allows separating AC and DC grounding.
- Easily converted from 115V to 230V AC at IEC inlet.
- Belleson ultralow-noise high-dynamic regulators.
- Organic polymer capacitors with ESR as low as 7mOhms.
- High-frequency MLCC capacitors to filter beyond 3GHz.
- IXYS ultrafast soft recovery Hexfred diode bridge.
- Laboratory grade filtered/fused/switched AC power inlet.
- Neutrik silver-plated 10A + 10A XLR DC power outlets.
- Ultra-heavy gauge .125" thick all-aluminum chassis.
- All non-magnetic stainless steel PEMs and hardware.
- Durable high-temp powder coating inside and out.
- Sorbothane or adjustable spiked anti-resonant feet.
FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs * FAQs
What Is the Mojo Audio Difference?
We’re originals—not copycats...
Over 30 years experience modifying and upgrading power supplies for professional applications.
The coolest designs...
With all hot parts heat sunk to the chassis, the heat dissipates through the entire surface of the chassis, extending parts life.
Less is more...
We are the manufacturer - there are no middle men doubling the price every time the product changes hands. We also don’t dumb down our best designs to offer varying levels of performance at varying price points.
You can’t go wrong...
We have 45-day no-risk audition. No restocking fees and no exceptions.
How does a low-noise linear power supply improve component performance?
Switch-mode power supplies not only have significantly higher peak-to-peak ripple, they radiate noise all around them. This noise can pollute AC power in the entire system and corrupt the sensitive music signal going through interconnects.
When the ripple in a power supply is combined with the musical signal it changes the time, tune, tone, and timbre as well as creates a background "fog" that obscures low-level detail and micro-dynamics. The lower the voltage of the ripple, the less the distortion and obscuring of the signal.
More important than peak-to-peak ripple is dynamic response. Though many of our competitors boast about how low the noise is in their power supplies, these specifications can be deceiving, since they measure the noise with a "static" load. The problem with most of these so-called low-noise power supplies is that when an active load, such as a music signal, is applied, the regulators "ring" as the attempt to re-stabilize to the changing load.
Not only do our power supplies have peak-to-peak ripple that is far below audibility (<50uV), they have ultra-fast dynamic response to changes in load (<10uS from zero to full load).
How does a low-noise power supply improve computer performance?
All computer communication works on a system of checks and error correction. If a packet of data doesn’t pass the check, a new packet of data is sent to replace the original. A computer that has lower power supply noise makes fewer bit read errors, so the computer has fewer errors to correct. When a low-noise power supply is used with media data, the resulting sound and motion are more liquid and more articulate.
Don’t batteries have the purest DC power?
There is a common misconception that batteries have the purest DC power. Though better than the inexpensive wall wart type switch-mode power supplies (SMPS) that come with many audio, video, and computer products, battery performance can’t compare to the performance of an ultralow-noise linear power supply.
Batteries use a chemical reaction to generate DC power, and each chemical reaction from each type of battery has its own audible noise signature. This is why a specific type of battery, such as LiO4, sounds better than another type, such as SLA. The noise level of a battery also changes significantly during different phases of the discharge and recharge cycle, making batteries an inconsistent-sounding power source as well.
Ask yourself this: if battery power has the lowest noise, then why do the military, aerospace, and telecommunications industries only use them for portable devices?
How difficult is it to upgrade the power supply in a Mac Mini?
For 2009 and older Mac Minis the upgrade is plug-and-play requiring no tools.
For 2010 and newer Mac Minis, if you have the tools and skills to change the hard drive, you also have the tools and skills to install one of our plug-and-play power supply upgrade kits.
Our Internal Filter Module (IFM) with a 5.5mm jack and our removable DC power cable with a 5.5mm plug are designed for ease of installation and convenience (see photos).
We also make a high-performance hardwired soldered IFM and DC cable for people who have more technical expertise. Our hardwired soldered power supply upgrade kit requires some basic electronics skills, a volt/ohm meter, and soldering gun to install.
Most of the upgrade kits we sell are of the hardwired and soldered variety (see photos).
What about degradation caused by heat?
On our Joule V power supply, we position the hot parts far from sensitive capacitors and heat sink them directly to the chassis. This topology conducts the heat through the chassis to minimize heat buildup inside the power supply that can degrade sensitive parts.
Our power supplies and Mac Mini upgrades are engineered to last for over a decade.