Rare opportunity to own what is likely the best L5AE in existence.
Mint condition with performance exceeding a standard L5AE. This unit was modified by Steve Rockwell at the Boulder Amplifiers factory to extract every last bit of performance. Serial Number A149. Improvements were made for the original owner, who was a friend of the factory staff. Upgrades over a standard L5AE include:
- Hand selected 990 gain blocks (10 of them)
- All RCA connectors replaced with WBT reference units
- Wiring for all RCA connectors is 50 ohm Mil-Spec FEP/TFE Teflon
- Wiring for all XLR connectors is 100 ohm Mil-Spec FEP/TFE Teflon
- Revised XLR grounding
- Optimized internal wiring based on Audio Precision distortion measurements
- Better electrolytic capacitors
- Mu metal transformer shield
- 2nd generation powder coated chassis
- Custom EAR MF-1010 isolation feet
- EAR isoloss damping for the transformer, chassis, and lid
All of the improvements result in a world class linestage with measurements in the same league as the highly acclaimed Boulder 2010 preamp.
This unit will work anywhere. Voltage conversion (110/220) with selectable Pin 2 or 3 hot for the XLR connections.
Rating of 8 is conservative, looks like new from the factory.
Buyer responsible for shipping and transaction fees