Mark Levinson No. 26s Dual Monaural Preamplifier Special Edition with Optional Balanced Input PCB, PLS-226 dual output power supply, and original Madrigal Audio Camac to RCA Cables
Excellent condition. Tested before listing. Serial numbers: 26s #3977, PLS-226 #3414. Photos show actual items for sale. Items will be packed with care and shipped fully insured.
Highly rated and hard to find model in excellent condition. The Levinson "s" units (the 25s phonoamp and 26s preamp) manufactured with Teflon PCBs were the last Levinson products made by Madrigal - they are considered among the finest, most sought after solid state preamps ever made. The non-"s" version cannot compare to the sonics of the "s" version (which is why Madrigal came out with the "s" model, at almost twice the price). These don't come on the market often because owners rarely sell them (it's not uncommon for buyers to wait a year or more for a 26s to come up for sale).
1995 retail pricing: 26s MSRP $8495, PLS-226 MSRP $1395 (3m Madrigal Camac to RCA interconnects sold separately).
This 26s comes complete with:
- The optional balanced XLR input PCB (BI-26-S) with its own internal gain control (perfect for a DAC or CD player).
- A PLS-226 dual power supply (so you can add a Levinson 25s phonoamp without buying another power supply)
- A pair of original Madrigal Audio Labratories 3m Camac to RCA cables
- A 1m umbilical cord (for connecting the preamp to the power supply)
- A standard power cable for the PLS
Single owner, from the estate of a passionate audiophile and serious collector where this had minimal use as the individual had multiple audio setups. Purchased from the Pacific Northwest’s premiere dealer (Definitive Audio). Maintained in a smoke-free and pet-free climate controlled environment.
Purchased items will have a handling time of up to 3 business days from time of payment. Paypal or Bank wire are the preferred methods of payment. Paypal will add 3%.
Review of Mark Levinson No. 26:
Mark Levinson No. 26S preamplifier
The Mark Levinson No. 26S Dual Monaural Preamplifiers used Teflon circuit boards to supposedly differentiate the No. 26 and the 26S models, produced between 1991 and 1994 by Madrigal Audio Laboratories. This unit utilizes Camac coaxial connectors (except for the XLR balanced ones), which were used in the medical industry as well, because they break hot before they break ground when you unplug them. No shorting electronics means a safe preamp and safe ER patients. An external power block, the PLS-226, was used to keep interference to a minimum.
The No. 26S came in 3 versions, a Balanced audio version, a Phono version, and vanilla version that could do neither. There was only space for one expansion board inside the unit, so you could not put in the phono and the balanced board. This made the phono and balanced inputs on the unit shared, only one set could be active in the unit based on which board was present.
- XLR Balanced Stereo Input and Output
- 3 Outputs: Main/Tape 1/Tape 2
- 6 Inputs: Tuner/Tape 1/Tape 2/CD/Aux 1/Phono or Aux 2
- 8 Selector Knobs: Input/Output Level/Record/Monitor/Phase/Balanced 1/Balanced 2/Stereo, Mono
- Voltage can be adjusted internally: 100, 120, 200, 220, 240VAC @ 50-60Hz