This is my "Signature" modified Sony PS-1 "Playstation" CD Player, SCHP-5501. I modified and burned it in on my audio system.
Sony did a great job putting in excellent DAC in its early Playstation models. Modifications to this player yield excellent sonic results.
Model SCPH-5501 uses the same Asahi Kasei AK4309AVM DAC as Model SCPH-1001 which gives this player a superb audio quality with lots of detail, dynamics and resolution. 5501 uses a better laser pickup assembly, it is auto-biasing for proper tracking (important for reading CDR) and positioned further from power supply to avoid interference and heat.
The modifications performed on this player makes it a truly excellent sounding piece of equipment. I modified the power supply, laser pickup, and the chassis. A separate output stage was added leaving all existing electronics intact, the signal is "stolen" directly from DAC output without removing any electronic components.
1. Modified output stage - DAC direct output using nos ERO MKT capacitors and metal film resistors.
2. RCA connectors added (chassis modified and cut).
3. Laser transport disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and damped to reduce parasitic resonances.
4. Chassis is extensively damped (player weights double the original weight)
5. Stock feet replaced with polyurethane.
6. Power supply recapped and adjusted.
7. Added integrated remote control, so it functions like a full featured CD player, no need for "umbilical" controller. (NOTE: On the remote controller "confirm"=Play, "select"=Stop)
The sound of this player is on par with some of my "reference" CD players.
Note: I no longer add venting holes atop power supply as they are not necessary...
Shipping within CONUS via USPS - $12.00 PayPal add 3%