Thiel SS1 Subwoofer. This Sub was traded in from its original owner. It was used in a pet/smoke free listening room.
THIEL Audio's line of subwoofer products are designed as the ultimate solution for bass management and reproduction in home theater and music sound systems. This family of ultra-high performance SmartSub® bass systems--the USS and SS2.2 subwoofers, and the PX05 Passive Crossover--redefine the category to offer the most seamless and realistic low frequency reproduction possible.
The THIEL SmartSub products are the most technologically advanced bass systems ever developed for seamless sonic integration in home audio and video sound systems. THIEL's SmartSub technology eliminates the major problems and limitations that conventional subwoofers have in matching the system's main speakers and the room. These are the world's first intelligent subwoofers.
THIEL's patent-pending SmartSub® technology
The subwoofers are powered, stand alone systems for reproducing the "point one" channel in a home theater system. They can also be used with the PX05 Passive Subwoofer Crossover to allow reproduction of the bass range of the other audio channels.
The subwoofers incorporate aspects of THIEL's patent-pending SmartSub technology:
- Both of the subwoofers can be easily adjusted to accurately eliminate room interaction problems for any placement, without microphones or complicated measurements.
- Unique electronic circuitry corrects for compression distortion due to heating of the drivers' voice coils for more dynamic and effortless reproduction.
The USS and SS2.2 share several innovative design features that provide exceptionally deep, uniform, dynamic and low distortion bass down to 20 Hz:
- THIEL's innovative short coil/long gap motor systems achieve extremely low distortion, and the drivers' aluminum diaphragms contribute to the subwoofers’ outstanding tonal response.
- Unusually large magnet structures and special high excursion suspensions allow the subwoofers to move a very large amount of air for effortless, realistic reproduction of the most demanding sources.
- The SS2.2 drivers are powered by an internal 1000 watt high efficiency switching mode amplifier (550 watts for the USS) with thermal overload protection.
The model SS2.2 (renamed version of the original SW1) utilizes a 1000 watt amplifier and employs two long-throw 10" woofers in a 23.5" H x 11" W x 20" D, 104 pound (47kgs) cabinet with up to 105dB of output at 20 Hz and up to 112dB at 30 Hz.
The model USS utilizes a 550 watt amplifier and one long throw 10" woofer in a compact 20" H x 11" W x 15.5 " D, 55 pound (25kgs) cabinet with an output of up to 99dB of output at 20 Hz and up to 106 dB at 30 Hz, an exceptional amount of output for a subwoofer its size.
(Output levels are with corner room placement— subtract 12 dB if the subwoofer is well away from all walls; subtract 6 dB if it's close to only one wall.)
The PX05 Passive Subwoofer Crossover allows a THIEL subwoofer to perfectly blend its output to augment the output of main THIEL speakers. The 5-channel PX05 is custom made to match different models for front, rear and center channel speakers. The units receive speaker level inputs and derive a line level subwoofer signal that can be used while the subwoofer simultaneously receives an LFE signal. This configuration is often a good approach for music and video systems when the main speakers play sufficiently loud but do not have extended, deep bass response.
Passive Subwoofer Crossover cabinets are 2" H, 7" W, 6.5" D
What is SmartSub Technology?
Find out more about the THIEL subwoofers' innovative drivers.