David Berning ZOTL Pre One with MM Phono upgrade
If you are looking at this you already know the legendary status of all David Bening designs. This is the most linear and transparent tube preamp available today and has a built in headphone preamp as well as the ability to be powered by battery pack which makes it spooky quiet. The preamp will come with stock tubes but have very rare Telefunken NOS tubes available if interested. Only reason we are selling is to move to a full balanced custom preamp to better match TAD amplifiers.
The ZOTL PRE ONE is equipped with Stillpoints TM OEM Universal Resonance Dampers. A unique wrap-around shield prevents undesirable signal bleeding from the controls or from the input/output jacks to the audio circuit board. Routine tube replacement on the ZOTL PRE ONE should not be needed with normal usage, and 10,000-hour lifetime should be expected.
Other features and specifications include:
- Dc-coupled line stage with dc offset null servo.
- Dc output protection shutdown.
- No negative feedback used in either the phono or line stage.
- Non-magnetic chassis prevents skin-effect induced distortion.
- Power consumption: 35 W ac powered, or 24 W dc powered (12 V @ 2 A).
- Line voltage required: (universal) 100-240 VAC, 50-440 Hz.
- Signal to noise, high-level stage, 20-20 kHz: 90 dB referenced to 1 V RMS input, unweighted.
- Signal to noise, phono only, without MC step-up transformer: 60 dB ref. 10 mV RMS input @ 1 kHz, unweighted.
- Signal to noise, phono only, with MC step-up transformer: 56 dB ref. 1 mV RMS input @ I kHz, unweighted. Transformer configured for 1:8 ratio.
- Distortion, almost all 2nd harmonic: High impedance load ~ 0.5 % @ 2 V RMS output; 50 Ohm load ~ 2 % @ 1 V RMS output.
- Maximum output: Hi-imp.- 5 V RMS @ 3 % THD; 50 Ohm- 2.5 V RMS @ 7.5 % THD.
- Frequency response @ 2 V RMS output both High- imp load and 50-Ohm load: -0.5 dB at 20 kHz and + 0.2 dB at 20 Hz. Ref 0 dB at 1 kHz.
- Output impedance: 50 Ohms.
- High level gain: 12 dB maximum.
- RIAA phono gain @ 1 kHz, no transformer: 48 dB. Additional 17 dB with transformer set to 1:8 configuration. 1:12 and 1:24 configurations also available.
- Phono overload: 110 mV RMS @ 1 kHz no transformer. 14 mV with transformer (1:8).
- High-level input impedance: 56 k? max, can be as low as 12 k? with balance attenuators set to minimum and volume control turned full clockwise.
- Tube complement: (4) 12AU7 high-level stage; (2) 12AX7 + (2) 12AT7 phono stage.
- Size: 42 cm wide, 33 cm deep, 15 cm high, (16.5 X 13 X 6 inches), including connectors and feet and knobs.
- Net weight: 6 kg (13 lb); Boxed, 8 kg (18 lb).
- Finish: silver anodize
Only serious and reasonable offers will be considered. Preamp is essentially new, has no more than 80 hours and has been kept in private showroom where there is no smoking allowed.
US Paypal and credit card payments please add 3% to final sale price. Foreign transactions add 5%.
Showroom / By appointment only
E-mail us: [email protected]