Up for sale is my heavily Merrill-modified AR XA turntable. If you’re looking at this, you probably know the history of the George Merrill mods for AR turntables. There’s not much of the AR turntable left here, really; just the top plate. I spent a lot of time putting this together, but now I have several turntables (including an actual Merrill Scilla MS2) and I need to sell this one.
The record clamp and cartridge are not included and not available for sale.
It has the following, including the prices I paid:
- Custom black walnut wood base – real wood, ½ inch thick ($500)
- Sumiko MMT tonearm ($300)
- Merrill custom chassis/armboard – bought off Ebay ($175)
- Merrill outer platter - bought New ($150)
- Merrill lead mat – bought new ($150)
- Merrill outer clamping ring – bought new ($200)
- Merrill Scilla custom machined springs ($350) - you can read about these in the 6 moons review - way better than your typical coiled springs
- Adjustable feet ($60)
- Merrill Tuning weight ($150)
- Origin Live motor and controller – silver, middle-of-the-line version ($350)
- AR XA turntable – bought used ($100)
So that’s nearly $2,500 actual dollars I’ve got invested in it (not just the 'retail' price, but what I actually spent).
I cut the top plate to fit the Merrill chassis/armboard, and painted it with several coats of primer and then several coats of black satin. I had the base custom made by a professional woodworker, with my favorite wood – black walnut. It was made deep enough to fit the Merrill tuning weight without it showing.
The pics may look as if the table has some red in it, but that's just the flash. The color is what you would expect black walnut to be. It's much better looking in person as well.
If I were planning on keeping it, I would add some dampening material underneath. Other than that, not sure it needs anything else. I just want to get some of my investment back out of it. I’ve held off from selling it for obvious personal reasons (time & money invested) and because I really like the custom base. But with all my other tables, it’s just been sitting for a long time.
I’ll cover shipping to anywhere in the CONUS at my asking price. Buyer pays paypal fees. I live in Louisville and work in Indianapolis, so I would also be willing to meet somewhere along the I-65 corridor between the two cities. I’ll entertain reasonable offers, but will ignore lowballers. If I did my math right, you could break it up and sell the pieces for more than the asking price. Check my feedback and thanks for looking.