This is modified Sony PS-1 "Playstation" CD Player, SCHP-5501. I modified and burned it in on my audio system.
Sony did a great job putting in excellent DAC in its early Playstation models. Modifications to this player yield excellent sonic results.
Model SCPH-5501 uses the same Asahi Kasei AK4309AVM DAC as Model SCPH-1001 which gives this player a superb audio quality with lots of detail, dynamics and resolution. 5501 uses a better laser pickup assembly, it is auto-biasing for proper tracking (important for reading CDR) and positioned further from power supply to avoid interference and heat.
1. Modified output stage - DAC direct output using nos ERO MKT capacitors and metal film resistors.
2. RCA connectors added (chassis modified and cut).
3. Laser transport disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and damped.
4. Chassis is extensively damped (player weights double the original weight)
5. Stock feet replaced with polyurethane.
6. Vents are added in the case to help dissipate the heat from the power supply.
7. Power supply recapped.
8. Added integrated remote control, so it functions like a full featured CD player, no need for "umbilical" controller. (NOTE: On the remote controller "confirm"=Play, "select"=Stop)
The sound of this player is on par with some of my "reference" CD players.
Shipping within CONUS via USPS - $12.00 PayPal add 3%